Too often, I find celery in my fridge that’s looking past it’s prime. Wilty, limp, not so green. Sometimes, I’ll chop it, freeze it, and save it for vegetable stock. However, if you’re freezer is looking as full as mine is I’ve got a delicious solution for you: soup it up! It’s amazing how a bunch of sad, lifeless veggies can come together in a pot and create a comforting creamy soup, with only a few minutes of preparation, and very little hands-on time. Looking to reduce fat and salt in your diet? Sautée the veggies in low-sodium veg broth instead of oil – they’re going to be super tasty, and you won’t miss the fat. What’s more, celery is naturally salty, so you don’t need to add any extra to this delicious potage. A note: don’t worry about the beauty of your veggie dice here: everything gets puréed at the end, so you won’t see the difference!
Creamy Celery Soup (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
- 2 small onions roughly diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil for sautéeing
- 1 bunch celery about 8 to 10 stalks chopped
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and roughly diced
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- Black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large deep saucepan or dutch oven.
- Add onions (they should sizzle!). Cook until translucent, moving around with a wood spoon or spatula.
- Add celery and potatoes.
- Pour in vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add parsley and black pepper. Cover and reduce heat. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Pour mixture into high powered blender, or use hand blender to purée mixture.
- Return to saucepan and cook over low heat another 10 to 15 minutes, or until desired consistency is reached. Soup will continue to reduce as it cooks.