This easy lentil soup is warm and nourishing, full of vibrant flavours and colours. It’s is a hearty pick-me-up, a real hug-you-from-the-inside kind of meal. My veggie-filled lentil soup is naturally vegan, and comes together in a pinch. With my easy instant vegetable broth trick, you’ll never need store-bought again!
I posted this photo on Instagram & Facebook, and my inbox & comment section immediately blew up with requests for the recipe – so, if you’re one of those people, HERE IT IS! Made it? Tell me what you think in the comments below!
Easy Curried Lentil Soup (Vegan)
a one-pot plant-based wonder
- 1 cup brown or green lentils** preferably soaked overnight
- 6 cups water
- 4 tbsp dried onions
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large white or spanish onion (about 2 cups) chopped
- 4 cloves garlic grated
- 2 cups carrots cubed
- 1 medium turnip peeled and cubed
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger grated
Spices & Herbs
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp crushed corriander seed
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/3 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 cup cilantro (or flat leaf parsley if you don't like cilantro!) chopped
Pre-Soak Your Lentils.
- No time to soak your lentils? No problem! Rinse them well a few times before adding them to the pot. You'll just have to add a bit more cooking time at the end.
Prepare the Instant Broth
- In a large measuring cup, combine water, salt and dehydrated minced onion. Set aside.
Sautée Your Veggies.
- Heat oil in large dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot.
- Reduce heat to medium, add onions and sautée for about 5-10 minutes, until begining to brown.
- Add 1/2 cup water and stir, scraping the bottom if needed. I like to use a wooden spatula for this!
- Once the water is mostly absorbed, add garlic, turnips, carrots to pot.
- Sautée veggies for another 5-8 minutes, until golden and fragrant.
- Add all spices EXCEPT for cilanto. Stir quickly.Add lentils & reserved broth. Give it a nice big stir and then bring it to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cover.
- Simmer for 45 minutes or up to 2 hours, until lentils and vegetables are very tender and flavours have had time to mingle.
- Stir in chopped cilantro just before serving.