Did you know that you can make mustard at home from scratch? Did you know that mustard requires no cooking? No fancy ingredients, and no fancy equiment. Today, I’ll teach you how to make your very own homemade mustard from scratch, using ingredients that you likely already have in your kitchen. This no-cook mustard will replace store-bought yellow mustard forever. Make your homestyle mustard extra artisanal by adding some herbs and spices. Enjoy this german-style delight on a nice slice of rye, or slather it on your next sandwich. Great for adorning a cheese platter or for dipping crudités. Excellent companion to my homemade soft pretzels!
Homemade Grainy Mustard
Make this as grainy or as smooth as you'd like by crushing the seeds to your desired consistency.
- ¼ cup mustard powder
- 3 tbsp mustard seeds (yellow or black, or a mix)
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar could be substituted with sherry vinegar, or other wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp add-ins of choice cumin seed, corriander seed, rosemary, dried chives, dried chili pepper flakes, black pepper, liquid smoke, paprika, etc.
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup optional (for sweetness)
- If you prefer whole seeds in your mustard, move to next step. Otherwise, use a spice grinder or mortar and pestle to crush some of your mustard seeds.
- Combine mustard powder, mustard seeds, water and salt. Allow to sit for 25-30 minutes. Add vinegar & stir. If using honey or add-ins, mix them in now.
- Spoon mixture into mason jar or other small container and allow to sit in the fridge overnight. The mustard will be quite runny and strong at first, but it will mellow and thicken as it sits. The mustard will be ready to use in 24 hours, but it is even better after a few days.
This recipe makes a fairly strong mustard. If you would like a more mild mustard, soak mustard seeds for about 4 hours or overnight in cold water. Drain when ready to use. Also note that you can adjust the flavour as needed – if you want it sweeter, add more honey or maple syrup! If you want it more flavoured, add more flavourings. I added a dash of liquid smoke to this batch and it brought it next-level!